Now that the weather is warmer, our feet are much more exposed to the elements. When we wear sandals, flip flops, or go barefoot, we expose ourselves to many more opportunities for foot problems. Sandals and flip flops don’t offer much support, and pool areas and public showers can breed infections such as plantars warts and athlete’s foot. Exposed feet are also prone to sunburn.
Below is some good advice to help you keep your feet healthy this summer:
- Limit your time going barefoot as it exposes the feet to sunburn, infections, and injury due to lack of support.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to your feet, especially the top and front of your ankle. Re-apply after going in the water.
- Keep blood flowing while relaxing in the sun by doing periodic ankle flexes, toe wiggles, and calf stretches.
- Some summer activities require different type of foot wear, so be prepared and always pack an extra pair of shoes just in case. If your shoes get wet, make sure to dry them out completely before wearing them again to prevent the growth of fungus and bacteria.
- If you injure your foot or ankle, make sure to see a podiatrist. Many people see only a family doctor when something is broken or sprained, but a podiatrist can start treating you and getting you back on your feet immediately.
- Do not wear flip flops while running or playing sports, they offer no support and put you at great risk of injury due to lack of heel and arch support.
- Flip flops should be worn in places bacteria could be such as pools and public showers
In case of minor foot problems, be prepared with this on the go foot gear:
- Flip flops to protect your feet at pools, spas, hotel rooms and airport security screenings.
- Band Aids for minor cuts and scrapes.
- Antibiotic cream to treat any skin injury.
- Blister pads or moleskin for blisters.
- Motrin/Advil to ease your tired and swollen feet.
- Aloe vera or Silvadene cream to relieve sunburns.
If you have any questions, visit the patient education section of our website, or make an appointment today. We offer prompt appointments and no waiting to be seen. We value your time and want to help you keep your feet happy!