Summer is officially here, and for a lot of us that means pedicures. Unfortunately, not all pedicure facilities offer clean and proper foot care, which can cause infections and other foot ailments. “It’s important that you take the time to find salon that has good procedures to prevent infection” says Dr. Hirt, “if you follow these recommendations, you will greatly reduce your chances of getting an infection or other ailment from your pedicure”:
- Make sure that all instruments used are clean and sterilized.
- Make sure foot tubs or basins are drained after every pedicure to get rid of all the bacteria present.
- Make sure the technician’s hands are clean.
- If you have diabetes, pedicures are not advised. Come in and talk to us before receiving a pedicure to identify any potential risks.
- Don’t allow aggressive cleaning. Nails should be cut straight with slightly rounded edges. If bleeding of calluses occurs, see your podiatrist.
- Discolored or sickly nails should only be treated by your podiatrist.
- Since polish hides the nails from the sun, which can lead to fungus, so you may wish to limit the use of polish to special occasions.
Following this advice will keep your feet happy, healthy, and ready for sandal season!
The doctors and staff at Fenton Foot Care are always available to answer any of your foot and ankle questions and concerns. Call for an appointment today! 810-629-3338 [FEET].
Fenton Foot Care
16229 Torrey Road Ste. 1
Fenton, Michigan 48430